The Commission works to improve the safety and quality of medication use in Australia. It leads and coordinates national initiatives to reduce medication errors and harm from medicines. Medication safety forms part of the National Safety and Quality Health Service (NSQHS) Standards (second edition). Information in these pages can help health service organisations and clinicians identify and implement strategies to improve medication safety.
- WHO Global Patient Safety Challenge
In March 2017, the World Health Organization (WHO) launched the third Global Patient Safety Challenge with the theme of medication without harm.
Medication charts and medication chart auditing
Position and safety statements
- Position and safety statements
- Topical application of chlorhexidine and the risks of accidental injection
- Neuraxial connectors and ISO 80369-6:2016
- Paediatric prescribing position statement
Safer naming, labelling and packaging of medicines
Medication safety training and tools
- Medication safety training and tools
- Medication safety self-assessment tools
- Interventions to improve medication safety - evidence briefs
- Medication safety and quality education and training