About the AURA Surveillance System
The AURA Surveillance System coordinates data from a wide range of sources to provide a comprehensive and integrated picture of patterns and trends in antimicrobial resistance (AMR) and antimicrobial use in human health across Australia. The Commission continues to be responsible for the operation of a number of elements of the AURA Surveillance System. The Australian Department of Health will undertake overall coordination activities.
Comprehensive, coordinated and effective surveillance of antimicrobial resistance and antimicrobial use is a national priority and a critical component of the Australia’s National Antimicrobial Resistance Strategy - 2020 and beyond. The Commission established the AURA Surveillance System and developed it as a comprehensive system to inform and support implementation of strategies to prevent and contain AMR.
Four long-term surveillance programs provided the foundation for the establishment of AURA Surveillance System:
- Australian Group on Antimicrobial Resistance
- National Antimicrobial Prescribing Survey
- National Antimicrobial Utilisation Surveillance Program
- The IT infrastructure for the Australian Passive AMR Surveillance (APAS) system has provided by the Queensland Health OrgTRx System.
In addition, data and reports have been included in national reporting from:
- The National Neisseria Network, on Neisseria gonorrhoeae and meningitidis
- The National Notifiable Diseases Surveillance System, on Mycobacterium tuberculosis
- The Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) and Repatriation Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (RPBS)
- The NPS MedicineWise MedicineInsight program
- Sullivan Nicolaides Pathology, on rates of AMR from the community and private hospital settings.
In 2016, the Commission established the National Alert System for Critical Antimicrobial Resistances (CARAlert) to provide information on those priority organisms that are resistant to last-line antimicrobials through targeted surveillance data. Data and reports on these critical resistances are available on a regular basis on the AURA webpages.