The range of tools and resources that can be used to assist shared decision making include:
- The Commission's decision support tools on ostearthritis of the knee, and use of antibiotics for sore throat, middle ear infection and acute bronchitis
- Other patient decision aids on particular conditions and treatments, which can be found at the Ottawa Hospital Research Institute’s international inventory of decision aids.
- Generic decision guides to support people to plan, track and share health-related or social decisions such as the Ottawa Personal Decision Guide
- Question prompt such as the Question Builder, five questions and ask.share.know that can be used to guide a shared decision making discussion (see box 1)
- Top tips for safe health care
- The Australian Charter of Healthcare Rights.