The following guides have been developed for NIMC users.
- NIMC User Guide
- NIMC (clozapine titration) User Guide
- NIMC (clozapine titration) PowerPoint presentation
- NIMC (GP e-version) User Guide
- NIMC VTE prophylaxis section
Hospitals are strongly recommended to evaluate their paediatric NIMC use. Suitable indicators include the Quality Use of Medicines Indicators in Australian Hospitals, which has been developed by the NSW Therapeutic Advisory Group and Clinical Excellence Commission.
The Children’s Hospitals Australasia’s Medication Safety Expert Reference Group recommends using the following documents as a minimum, to form part of a more comprehensive evaluation of the paediatric NIMC nationally.
- 3.2 – Medication ordering – Percentage of patients whose known adverse drug reactions are documented on the current medication chart
- 3.3 – Medication ordering – Percentage of medication orders that include error-prone abbreviations
- 3.4 – Medication ordering – Percentage of paediatric medication orders that include the correct dose per kilogram (or body surface area) AND an effective and safe total dose
In 2009, the Commission held a seminar on safe implementation of the paediatric NIMC in hospitals. The report is available to download. Paediatric NIMC Seminar 07 May 2009 Report (PDF 50KB)
- Paediatric National Inpatient Medication Chart Report 2009 (PDF 170KB)
- Implementing the paediatric NIMC within a general hospital (PDF 108KB)
- Implementing the Paediatric NIMC at Royal Children’s Hospital Melbourne: Sharing the lessons (PDF 88KB)
- Sydney Children’s Hospital: Experience and national resources for implementation (PDF 755KB)
- National evaluation of the paediatric NIMC (PDF 2.4MB)
- Medication safety strategies for children (PDF 1MB)
- Responding to safety alerts in the paediatric environment (PDF 755KB)
- Using Medication Safety Self Assessment and Indicators for Quality Use of Medicines in paediatric settings (PDF 824 KB)
National residential medication chart (NRMC)
The Commission has developed separate NRMC guidance material for prescribers, aged care service staff and pharmacists.
- NRMC FAQs
- NRMC guidelines for pharmacists
- NRMC guidelines for pharmacists: appendices
- NRMC guidelines for prescribers
- NRMC guidelines for prescribers: appendices
- NRMC guidelines for nursing / RACF staff
- NRMC guidelines for nursing / RACF staff: appendices
- NRMC interactive PPT: Education for nursing and care staff
- NRMC Medication Skills Assessment
- Chart Sticker Templates
- NRMC sticker instructions