NSQHS Standards orientation course
This course aims to provide an overview of the National Safety and Quality Health Service (NSQHS) Standards for assessors and health service organisations' workforce. It is self-paced and includes learning material such as case studies, videos and tips for implementing the NSQHS Standards.
Course announcements and updates
- We have identified an issue with emails sent from the NSQHS Standards Orientation Course with login details and password resets going to users’ junk folders. This is being investigated. Please check your junk folder for this information if not received immediately for password resets or within 1-2 business days for enrolment requests. If you have not received an email, please complete the online enquiry form .
- Please be aware that the finish date for NSQHS Standards Orientation Course (2019C) for assessors and non-assessors has been extended until 31 December 2020 to allow participants additional time to complete the course.
- The finish date for the Colonoscopy Clinical Care Standard Course has also been extended to 31 December 2020 for any assessors involved in activities related to the Covid-19 pandemic. However, the Commission requests that any assessors who are able to complete the Colonoscopy Clinical Care Standard course do so at earliest convenience noting that it is a short course.
About the course
The NSQHS Standards Orientation Course is freely available for anyone who would like to learn about the NSQHS Standards. Completion of the course is mandatory for assessors prior to them commencing assessment of health service organisations to the NSQHS Standards.
The online course is self-paced and includes learning materials such as case studies, videos and tips for implementing the NSQHS Standards. Eleven modules cover:
- An introduction to the NSQHS Standards
- The assessment of safety and quality systems
- The Australian Health Service Safety and Quality Accreditation (AHSSQA) Scheme
- Each of the eight standards.
All assessors must also complete the short Colonoscopy Clinical Care Standard course. You will be automatically enrolled in this course when you enrol in the NSQHS Standards course as an assessor.
The online course does not provide a qualification to become an assessor. Recruitment of assessors is undertaken by approved accrediting agencies, and assessors must have a detailed understanding of the relevant standards and submit evidence of satisfactory completion of the Commission’s online orientation program prior to undertaking assessments. You can find the list of approved accrediting agencies on this page: Approved accrediting agencies contact details.
Please follow this link to access the enrolment form. Use this form to enrol or re-enrol/transfer courses. Enrolment to Course 4 (2019C) is now open.
|Enrolments close||Course finishes|
|13 November 2020||31 December 2020*|
*Further extensions may be granted and will be determined closer to the course finish date.
There are three options for enrolment:
- Assessor course - this is for assessors from accrediting agencies that undertake reviews of health service organisations as part of the process of accreditation
- Certificate course - this is for non-assessors who would like a certificate of completion, for example, for professional development. Certificates are available for each module or for the course as a whole
- Non-certificate course - this is for non-assessors who do not need a certificate of completion, but would like to learn more about the NSQHS Standards.
To obtain a certificate of completion, users must finish the course by the date the course they are enrolled in finishes. Assessors must provide a copy of their certificate of completion to their accrediting agency before they are eligible to assess a health service organisation using the NSQHS Standards.
The following table summarises the course requirements for each stream
|Assessor||Other-Requiring completion certificate||Other- Not requiring completion certificate|
Must complete all 8 modules
Must submit answers to all questions to progress through each module
Must contribute to Discussion Boards
Will have responses to short answer questions reviewed by the Commission
Will be provided with a certificate of completion at the conclusion of the course
|Yes - if satisfactorily completed||Yes||No|
Will be provided with individual module certificates
Must complete additional modules in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural competency
|Yes||No-these modules are only available for assessors||No- these modules are only available for assessors|
Please follow this link to access the NSQHS Standards orientation course. It is recommended that users have access to the latest version of Internet Explorer, Firefox or Google Chrome web browsers and that pop-ups are enabled.
Course trouble shooting and enquiries
Please complete the online enquiry form in you are having any course related difficulties.
The NSQHS Standards Orientation Course was developed by the Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care to assist assessors and representatives from Australian health service organisations better understand the intent of the NSQHS Standards and the processes of accreditation that are described in the Australian Health Service Safety and Quality Accreditation Scheme.
These standards and accreditation requirements do not apply in any other country. The NSQHS Standards were written specifically for the Australian health care context and may not be used in any other country without the written permission of the Commission.