Requirements for the retention of laboratory records and diagnostic material
The Requirements for the retention of laboratory records and diagnostic material (the Retention standard) sets out the expected requirements pathology laboratories are to achieve for retaining laboratory records and materials. The ninth edition of the standard includes minor updates to align with information provided in the fact sheet on the retention period for coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) test samples.
Accessibility - We aim to provide documents in an accessible format. If you're having problems using a document with your accessibility tools, please contact us for help.
Copyright - Unless stated otherwise, materials provided are covered by a Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-Share Alike (BY-NC-ND) 4.0 International License.
Published 19 April 2022, date of effect 22 April 2022.
Other updates to the ninth edition of the Retention standard include:
- modernised document formatting
- updated National Pathology Accreditation Advisory Council (NPAAC) logo
- numbered footnote references
- itemised explanatory notes (ENs) that provide further explanation to information in the tables in section 2 Minimum retention times
- updated referencing style.
Errors and corrections: