Examples of supporting evidence
- Reports or summary descriptions of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander patient population and communities
- Documentation from consultation processes, committees and meetings relating to the engagement of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community
- Documentation on consultation with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities
- Evidence-based clinical guidelines and decision support tools which have been co-designed in partnership with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
- Membership of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people on the organisation’s governing body, clinical governance committee or consumer advisory committee
- Memorandum of understanding or other documentation of formal partnerships with local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health service providers and community groups
- Safety and quality action plans that incorporate Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities’ strengths-based approach and key principles of the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.
7. Australian Health Ministers’ Advisory Council. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Performance Framework 2017: report. Canberra: AHMAC; 2017.
8. Stewart J, Allan J. Building relationships with Aboriginal people: a cultural mapping toolbox. Aust Soc Work 2013;66:118–29.
9. Hunt J. Engagement with Indigenous communities in key sectors. Canberra: Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, and Australian Institute of Family Studies; 2013. (Resource Sheet No. 23.)
10. Liaw ST, Wade V, Lau P, Hassan I, Furler J. Safe and effective cultural mentorship in general practice. Aust Fam Physician 2016;45:431–6.
11. Jezewski MA. Culture brokering in migrant farmworker health care. West J Nurs Res 1990;12(4):497–513.
12. Howitt R, Colyer C, Hammer MR, Havnen O, Huchendorf K, Hubert C. Organisational capacity for engaging with Indigenous Australians. Geogr Res 2014;52:250–62.
13. Durey A, McEvoy S, Swift-Otero V, Taylor K, Katzenellenbogen J, Bessarab D. Improving healthcare for Aboriginal Australians through effective engagement between community and health services. BMC Health Serv Res 2016;16:224.
14. Kirkham R. Obligation and compromise: Aboriginal Maternal Infant Care Workers successes, challenges and partnerships [thesis]. Adelaide: University of Adelaide; 2014.