Antibiotic Awareness Week provides an opportunity to promote the safe and appropriate use of antimicrobials in your health service or hospital and the challenge of antimicrobial resistance to safe, quality health care provision.
The resources below have been developed to assist hospitals and health service organisations in running activities and events in the lead up to and during Antibiotic Awareness Week.
- NPS MedicineWise Resistance Fighter Tshirt Artwork (PNG 96.1 KB) (AI file available on request)
- Australian Government – Antimicrobial Resistance - https://www.amr.gov.au/
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) – US Antibiotic Awareness Week (https://www.cdc.gov/antibiotic-use/week/get-involved.html?CDC_AA_refVal=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fantibiotic-use%2Fweek%2Foverview.html)
- European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) – European Antibiotic Awareness – (https://antibiotic.ecdc.europa.eu/en)
- Ministry of Health New Zealand – Antibiotic Awareness (https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/diseases-and-conditions/antimicrobial-resistance/consumer-resources-antibiotic-awareness)
- National Centre for Antimicrobial Stewardship (NCAS) - https://www.ncas-australia.org/education
- National Collaborating Centre for Infectious Diseases (NCCID) – Canada – (https://nccid.ca/antibiotic-awareness/)
- NPS MedicineWise – World Antibiotic Awareness Week – (https://www.nps.org.au/antibiotic-awareness)
- NSW Health Clinical Excellence Commission – Antibiotic Awareness Week (http://www.cec.health.nsw.gov.au/patient-safety-programs/medication-safety/antimicrobial-stewardship/quah/antibiotic-awareness-week)
- Public Health England (PHE) – Keep Antibiotics Working Campaign (https://campaignresources.phe.gov.uk/resources/campaigns/58-keep-antibiotics-working/resources)
- Royal Australian College of Physicians (RACP) - https://evolve.edu.au/resources/antibiotic-awareness
- World Health Organization (WHO) Campaign – World Antibiotic Awareness Week (http://www.who.int/who-campaigns/world-antibiotic-awareness-week)
Antimicrobial Stewardship Clinical Care Standard
Learn more about prescribing: Antimicrobial Prescribing E-learning Modules
The Commission and NPS MedicineWise have developed a series of e-learning modules on antimicrobial prescribing aimed at prescribers in their first 2 years out of medical school, as well as nurse practitioners, hospital pharmacists and university students. The modules address specific areas where antimicrobial use in hospitals is sub optimal, including surgical prophylaxis and community acquired pneumonia.
National Antimicrobial Prescribing Survey (NAPS)
The National Antimicrobial Prescribing Survey (NAPS) is an annual survey that is co-ordinated by the National Centre for Antimicrobial Stewardship.
To find out more visit the NAPS website or contact the NAPS team and start planning participation in the survey.
Take the pledge with NPS MedicineWise
NPS MedicineWise is asking consumers to take the pledge to fight antibiotic resistance. NPS MedicineWise also has a range of resources available to download for use during Antibiotic Awareness Week.