National Standard Medication Chart (NSMC) auditing
Data from audits of how clinicians are using medication charts guide healthcare organisations in measuring clinical practice. This leads to improved health outcomes for patients and embeds continuous quality improvement within hospitals.
Audits provide evidence to support accreditation according to the NSQHS Standards (second edition).
Australian hospitals and day procedure centres can participate in the National Standard Medication Chart (NSMC) national audit or coordinate a local audit using the NSMC audit system.
The following support tools are available for auditing NSMCs:
- NSMC audit form
- NSMC auditing guide
- NSMC audit system user guide
- NSMC audit system - Reporting user guide for coordinators
Instructional videos are also available for the NSMC audit system:
- NSMC audit system video tutorial - Part 1 - User registration
- NSMC audit system video tutorial - Part 2 - Logging in and resetting passwords
- NSMC audit system video tutorial - Part 3 - Creating audits and entering audit data
- NSMC audit system video tutorial - Part 4 - Generating reports (for coordinators only)
National Inpatient Medication Chart (NIMC) national auditing has resulted in a large body of evidence on use of the NIMC. The NIMC National Audit Reports compile audit data from 2009–14.
Contact your NSMC local contact for further advice.
|State||Contact email||Contact phone|
|ACT – Mr Daniel Lalor||Daniel.Lalor@act.gov.au||(02) 6174 7106|
|NSW – Ms Nina Muscillo||CEC-MedicationSafety@health.nsw.gov.au||(02) 9269 5585|
|NT – Ms Angela Youngemail@example.com||(08) 8951 7571|
|QLD – Ms Fiona McIverfirstname.lastname@example.org||(07) 3708 5294|
|SA – Ms Kaye Barrattemail@example.com||(08) 8226 7240|
|TAS – Ms Anita Thomasfirstname.lastname@example.org||(03) 6166 1086|
|VIC – Dr Kylie McIntoshemail@example.com||(03) 9096 7786
|WA – Ms Kerry Fitzsimons||Kerry.Fitzsimons@health.wa.gov.au||(08) 9222 4008