Fourth Atlas 2021
The Fourth Australian Atlas of Healthcare Variation examines variation in healthcare use according to where people live. It covers six clinical areas: early planned births; chronic disease and infection; ear, nose and throat surgery in children and young people; lumbar spinal surgery; gastrointestinal investigations; and medicines use in older people. The Atlas was launched by the Hon Greg Hunt MP on 28 April 2021.
Explore by healthcare topic and download data
Use these links to explore interactive maps and graphs, download data and view commentaries and recommendations.
Download the Atlas and other resources
Launch of the Fourth Atlas 2021
Hear from national leaders in health care as they discuss important findings from the Fourth Australian Atlas of Healthcare Variation and what this reveals about the appropriateness and equity of healthcare delivery in Australia.
- Hon Greg Hunt MP, Minister for Health and Aged Care
- Professor Paul Kelly, Chief Medical Officer, Australian Government Department of Health
- Professor John Newnham AM, 2020 Senior Australian of the Year; Professor of Obstetrics, University of Western Australia; Chief Scientific Director, Women and Infants Research Foundation
- Professor Villis Marshall AC, Board Chair, Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care
- Conjoint Professor Anne Duggan, Chief Medical Officer, Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Healthcare (Host).
Video length: 34mins:33secs